I don’t mind the bitter cold of winter – as long as the wind’s not blowing. Such is not the case for this March, with gale-plus winds up to 40mph sweeping over much of the Midwest. I can tackle the cold, with as many layers and scarves as possible – but wind makes my shoulder-length hair stick to my face and my lipstick, while blocking the view of where I’m going.
That’s why I asked the Hair and Skin Specialists at Fantasia Salon & Hair Restoration Center to share some windy-weather hair, skin and beauty tips with me.
- Shampoo Less Frequently: As you age, your hair naturally produces less natural oils, and shampooing every day can strip the hair of even more. So can the wind! Space out your shampoos from 2 to 4 times a week to retain those natural hair oils – it will be less drying on your hair and scalp.
- Avoid long, hot showers: Nothing quite takes the chill off like a nice hot shower – but don’t do it! Opt instead for shorter, warm showers. Hot water robs both your hair and skin of its natural oils, leaving both dry and scaly. Use a moisturizing bath wash and condition your hair when showering – you don’t always have to shampoo, but just a dab of conditioner or hair serum will help retain those all-important hair oils.
- Air Dry Your Hair Whenever Possible: Your personal curling tools, sadly, can dry out your hair even more than the wind. Dry hair can turn frizzy, and frizzy hair is best kept under a hat or scarf. If you can air dry your hair as often as possible, your hair will stay healthy and the conditioner will smooth out those frizzes, leaving your hair soft and more manageable.
- Exfoliate & Deep Condition Your Hair & Skin: You wouldn’t put your shoes on before your socks – so why would you use body lotion on skin that is covered in bacteria, sweat, and dry patches? Exfoliate, exfoliate, and exfoliate first, getting rid of those rough, scaly skin areas. And don’t forget your hair! Wind blows more than just air into your hair, it blows pollutants and other debris into your hair, so shed the old and provide a clean surface for that body lotion, and deep hair conditioner. Fantasia Founder and Owner Twila Donley recommends the original Moroccanoil Treatment to add shine and nutrients to your hair. Moroccanoil is the product that pioneered oil-infused hair care and created the worldwide buzz on argan oil. Infused with antioxidant-rich argan oil and shine—boosting vitamins, this completely transformative hair treatment detangles, speeds up drying time and boosts shine—leaving you with nourished, manageable and smooth hair with each use. Twila recommends using the treatment once a week to remove any hair products and debris from your hair – and restore health and lustre.
- Protect Your Hair & Skin: You’d never think of venturing out into the cold and wet without a coat – so why leave your face and hair unprotected from weather extremes? Many women complain about “hat hair,” but hat hair is preferable to wind-swept, dry, out-of-control hair. If you don’t like hats, try a scarf, and use one to cover your face from the eyes down. Wear sunglasses if the snow or sun is blinding, or just to protect your eyes from “blowing” debris, and always carry a rich lip conditioner.
Hopefully, the winds of March will give way to April flowers, but I suspect it may be May before we see the first signs of spring. In the meantime, take care of your hair and skin, and it will take care of you!
Colleen Szot is a Minneapolis-based writer for over 40 years and a passionate client of Fantasia Salon. Colleen’s credits include TV, radio, and magazines. Her website is www.wonderfulwriter.com