Top 5 Tips and Tricks to Keeping Your Hair, Skin, and Nails Healthy this Winter
Ah, winter – the perfect time to wear your knee-high boots, drink anything with pumpkin spice, and pull out the crockpot for savory Sunday dinners. But it’s also a time when many of us let go of our daily skin regimen that we perfected over the summer – no sunscreen, no hair protectant, and no pedicure. And that, according to experts, is the worst thing you can do for your skin over the cold months.
Winter is the best time of year to step up your everyday skincare. Why? Because heaters, hot showers, and dry winter air are the perfect conditions to dry out your skin, hair, and nails. And why use sunscreen when you aren’t out soaking up those beach rays? Because UV radiation, though not as intense in the winter, still poses a threat, especially when the sun reflects off snow – as we all know is possible in the great state of Minnesota.
So, what should we be doing to keep our skin, hair, and nails hydrated and healthy this winter? Here’s your Fantasia Top 5 Wintertime Tricks and Tips:
- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! The skin on your hands is thinner than any other part of your body, and they carry fewer oil glands. That means it’s harder to keep your hands moist, especially in cold, dry weather. Carry thick, hydrating hand cream with you all winter long, such as Aveda’s Hand Relief Moisturizing Cream. This rich hand cream deeply moisturizes dry hands leaving them noticeably softer and smoother. Ingredients such as their andiroba oil and other plant hydrators protect the skin’s moisture barrier, helping seal in softness through three hand washes. And they even carry a foot relief version too because you can’t forget your feet!
- Choose skin products that will hydrate. Have you heard about the winter miracle worker? Then you need to check out SkinCeuticals Hydrating b5 Gel! This magic in a bottle replenishes nutrients the skin needs to feel smooth and appear younger. It’s oil free and enhances the benefits of a daily moisturizer by locking in all the hydrating qualities, and sealing out the cold air. And for an added bonus, use with their vitamin C E Feurlic serum which helps combat wrinkles (and locks in vitamin C for up to 72 hours!)
- Don’t forget the sunscreen. Winter sun – especially when combined with snow glare – can still damage your skin, so apply it generously to both your face and hands at least 30 minutes before going outside. And if you’re participating in wintertime sports – skiing, snowboarding, or just snowball fighting – reapply the sunscreen frequently. Make it easy on yourself and find a moisturizer that includes a broad-spectrum sunscreen, or if you don’t want to lose that summer glow, choose a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen to keep your tan going all winter long! We love Aveda’s Inner Light Mineral Tinted Moisturizer with SPF. This radiance-infused oil-free moisturizer is so lightweight that it feels as if you’re wearing nothing. Yet it gives a smooth, tinted, dewy finish to your skin with their mineral-derived, broad-spectrum sunscreen.
- Use a hair mask and condition like it’s your job. There’s nothing better than a hot shower when you first jump out of bed – or after spending a winter day outdoors. But a hot shower or bath can actually break down those natural oils in your hair, leaving it drier and less protected than before. So make sure to slather on the conditioner and use a hair mask, like Aveda’s Dry Remedy Kit, to lock in moisture and transfer your dry hair into soft lushes locks.
- Get a manicure. Dry nails are more susceptible to breakage and splitting, which not only looks terrible, but can hurt too! Make sure to get in once every 2 weeks (for a regular manicure) and at least once a month (for gel treatments) to keep your nails protected from the harsh winter air. And don’t forget your feet! Just because they are tucked into fluffy socks, and thick boots doesn’t mean they are any less susceptible to the evils of dry air or hot showers, so schedule a mani/pedi Because let’s face it, winter is better with a gorgeous pop of color on your fingers and toes!
Wintertime comes with so many wonderful things – Christmas, fresh snow falls, and hockey. But what it doesn’t need to come with is dry hair, nails, and skin. So follow these top 5 tips to keep your skin looking summertime fresh even when the temperature dips below freezing!